Recent Posts

December 28, 2011

Summer at Tiffany



While my friend, Torie, and I were in New York together, we spent a fair amount of time in Tiffany’s picking out a locket for her birthday; so when I received Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart from her for Christmas, I was beyond excited to start reading it.  The book instantly sent me to 1945, just five years after the 5th Avenue Tiffany’s opened.  It is a memoir about two young girls, Marjorie and Marty,  who leave Iowa to spend the Summer in New York and happen to snag a job at Tiffany’s as pages; they just so happened to be the first women to work on the sales floor.  I was so absorbed into this book that I finished it in a matter of days, I couldn’t help but giggle when they referenced going out clubbing, and that kissing in public was a huge deal. It really makes you realize how the times have changed and how class and luxury have diminished.  This book is a perfect read for a Tiffany fan like myself and Torie.

0 comments:

Post a Comment